Analytics

Friday, December 7, 2012

Can Pinterest make me skinny?

Let me first start by saying that I love Pinterest. I've found so many great ideas for my home, kitchen, and life. It really is a great source of inspiration. (Or things to just copy-cat). 

When Pinterest started gaining in popularity it had one big problem. It was filled with pro-ana material and "thinporation."  They were very quick to change their terms of service to dissallow this type of content, but it hasn't fully gone away.  It's definately more subtle, and wrapped up to look like diet and healthy lifestyle content.  I normally don't feel compelled to say anything about what I find on here, but the other day I found a pin that really agravated me.


The reason why this bothers me so much is because it's just wrong. As in incorrect. Infactual. And kind of a dumb idea.  The idea of this pin was that if you follow along and go without the specified thing each month then you will be "bikini ready" for summer.  I'm not a nutritionist, a doctor, or even someone with any formal training on healthy living. What I do have is enough personal life experience to say THIS WILL NOT WORK.  Let's break this down.

1. Each thing you "go without" for a month is actually a really good idea. But simply removing something from your life for 30 days and then allowing it back in isn't going to have any long term effects. You need to make long term changes in your life to see any long term changes in your body.

2. How much biscuits, gravy, and soda are you consuming that giving it up for 30 days would have ANY sort of effect? 

3. Here is a much better idea: All Months - Don't exceed your calorie limit, enjoy all foods in moderation, and choose fruites and vegetables whenever possible. Every week record how you FEEL. After 6 months go back and compare how you feel now to how you felt when you started.  Also try excersising. Maybe go for a jog.

If you take nothing else from this, remember: "Bikini ready" is a FEELING. If you feel good in it, then you rock it girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment